Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Blind Animals and Devotions

Reading Malachi this morning, found myself amongst the priests that the Lord rebukes.

A son honors his father, and a servant his master. If then I am a father, where is my honor? And if I am a master, where is my fear? says the LORD of hosts to you, O priests, who despise my name. But you say, ‘How have we despised your name?’ By offering polluted food upon my altar. But you say, ‘How have we polluted you?’ By saying that the LORD’s table may be despised. When you offer blind animals in sacrifice, is that not evil? And when you offer those that are lame or sick, is that not evil? Present that to your governor; will he accept you or show you favor? says the LORD of hosts. (Malachi 1.6-8)

How often do I offer the easy sacrifices? How often do I give what has little value to me? My prayers are so often offered when convenient, my devotion when I'm not too tired, my tithes when I think about them. When have I offered that which really cost me something (2 Sam 24.24)?

The prophet does not leave me there. There is a fearful hope on the horizon.

And the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple; and the messenger of the covenant in whom you delight, behold, he is coming, says the LORD of hosts. But who can endure the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appears? For he is like a refiner’s fire and like fullers’ soap. He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, and they will bring offerings in righteousness to the LORD. Then the offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the LORD as in the days of old and as in former years. (Malachi 3.1-4)

I cannot stand when he appears-  I could not endure the day of his coming. Yet he purifies the priests- he purifies me. And in him my sacrifices become acceptable, 'pleasing to the Lord as in the days of old'. That is good news, and encourages me to press on towards greater sacrifice. Not because greater sacrifice can save me; the Greater Sacrifice already has. I desire to offer better sacrifices simply because he again has shown himself worthy of them.

Lord, teach me to worship you in discipline, and in sacrifice- not that I might earn your favor, but in response to the favor already lavished on me. I am grateful, Lord, for that favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment