Monday, July 1, 2013

Freedom of Choice

Don't even think that I'm going to get into that free-will/predestination debate.  I will have nothing to do with it today, save that my foundation contains some principles of both, principles which the really really really scrutinizing reader will fish out.  Alas, I intend to address other things.

Namely, the freedom the Christian has to make a decision without heavenly direction.

I'm always intrigued by Isaiah 30:21.  It says that a voice will tell you 'this is the way, walk in it'- but it describes the voice as following decision.  'Whether you turn to the right or to the left, you will hear a voice...'  I may be misunderstanding Hebrew grammar, but it sure appears that direction may or may not be given- but affirmation will come.  Similarly, Psalm 90:17 asks the Lord to set His favor on us, and to 'establish the works of our hands.'  It repeats the sentiment twice, as the author begs the Lord to make secure what the author has begun, seemingly without direction or certainty of success.

Similarly, in Genesis 13:17, where God gives Abraham the task of scouting out the land that his offspring would inherit, the Lord does not say to mark the borders (though that comes), nor to follow the hills and the streams.  He just says 'go, walk through the length and the breadth of the land, for I am giving it to you.'  I think of myself, as a child, loosed into the creeks behind my parent's house.   Explore.  Journey.  Discover.  There were parameters (make sure you're within earshot of the dinner bell; wear a lifejacket if you're alone)-  but in large part there was freedom.

So too does the Lord often release us.  If no direction comes, perhaps we, like the reader of Isaiah and like Abraham, have the freedom to explore.  Obviously within parameters, obviously listening for clear direction, submitting to the counsel of scripture and one's community.  But, all that aside, it does seem that the Lord sometimes offers us freedom to choose.  Seems like a bad idea to me, letting me hold the reins.  But, over it all, He is still sovereign, and can fix anything I screw up.  Nor will He let me get too far while I still fear Him (in the biblical 'reverence/awe/worship/submission' sense of the word).  He loves us too much to let something so petty in the grand scheme of things get in the way of a relationship with us.

In fact, remaining in the purgatory of indecision is often damaging to my own faith and to relationships around me, as I become increasingly agitated, anxious, and undependable as the culminating weight of a decision postponed bears me downward.  And because I can make no commitments out of indecision, many of my friends are left hanging, waiting in blindness themselves. This neither loves them, nor trusts the goodness of God, which has been so incredibly displayed on the cross.

So, if you are trapped in indecision, perhaps the word of God to you is to not freak out, and instead to make a choice.  As Augustine is reported to have said, 'love God, and do as you please.'  Because God's loving sovereignty is stronger than our decision, whatever it may be.  He remains.  Your relationship with Him remains.  The kingdom remains.  And so it's not as big a deal as you think.  If indeed it is more loving and more faith-full to act than to wait in fear, then Trust, Listen, Go.  He goes with you, regardless.

1 comment:

  1. Love this. Tim Keller says God is a "green light" God. If we are talking to Him and listening to Him, we have the freedom to walk through life knowing that His light for us is green/go. If He needs to stop us, He will. :)

    ReplyDelete